Lead is a toxic metal that has been used in many products in the past, including gasoline, paint and water pipes. In the 1990s, it was determined that this toxin was one of the biggest environmental threats to children in the U.S. If you suspect your home is contaminated with lead, contact Hygenix Inc. in Fairfield County, CT, for testing and removal.
The most common form of lead poisoning occurs from old paint. The dust from its deterioration is harmful to breathe in, but improper removal can also cause exposure. When water pipes corrode, outside contamination is also possible. You can track this contaminated dirt and soil inside and inadvertently expose small children to lead.
Ingestion and Aspiration Can Cause Poisoning
It doesn’t take much lead in the system to cause mental and physical impairment in children and adults. Blood levels at just 10 micrograms per deciliter can have adverse effects to your health, including the kidneys and central nervous system; high levels, 80 micrograms per deciliter, can cause convulsions and death. Children are at a higher risk from exposure, because the toxin is more easily absorbed by growing bodies. They often put their hands and other objects into their mouths, which also increases contamination levels.
Although lead is strictly regulated in the manufacturing of paint and toys, buildings built before 1960 can have lead paint underneath newer coats. We provide lead testing for this toxin and find a solution for its removal where present.
Protect Your Family
Learn more about dangerous substances when you call Hygenix Inc. in Fairfield County and Stamford, CT, at 203-324-2222 or 800-201-1227. We have a team of professional experts who can provide mold testing, site remediation and environmental consulting as well.